Backwards Linking, Publishing...

Forum for the support and discussion of KNote and KNetFramework

Backwards Linking, Publishing...

Postby asmith111126 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi, Nice application!
It would be great if you also built in the ability to know what notes link to this note. For example, I use the KNote button, make a new note, go edit and save. If I later found that note by searching I would like to know what note linked to this. Otherwise I would never know that this note originated from the first one. This feature is would be of particular value also in the blog entries.

The publishing is pretty limited. Can I publish my entire database at once? Seems I have no admin rights to my own content, like deleting it. If I republish a note, does it overwrite the old one, or it is a new one. How can I find all the notes i have published there? etc. Can I publish to my own blog somewhere? In anycase, can you explain what purpose you thing this blog publishing serves and how you expect it to evolve and when. It could be a pretty powerful tool.

A.Smith
asmith111126

Re: Backwards Linking, Publishing...

Postby john » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi Smith:
One way to do backlinking is to perform an exact search of the note title using double quote "like this". KNote has a very advanced search function that works like google search. You can search for multiple terms and KNote will automatically sort and present the search results based on the likelihood of match.

Publish of an entire database is currently not supported.

You have full admin rights on your content. After a note is published, any further publications of the same note will overwrite the old one. You can tell this from the same URL that is used. If you publish again without any content, you effectively remove the published note. We decided not to provide a delete button at this point since we believe it is more appropriate for one to leave a few words on the whereabouts of the published note so those who have the URLs won't get lost. However, we could automate the process in future releases.

All published notes can be found via the knote-publication tag. You may have to close a note before seeing its tag updated.

The publishing function is for people to share notes. The benefits are similar to a blog. After sending the URL to others, you still have full control of the content and can continuously evolve it. KNote makes this extremely easy.
You could build a personal blog out of this by creating a main blog note first. Then, for each blog entry, simply create a Note and link it via KNoteLink to the main blog note.

Hope this helps
John
john

Postby asmith111126 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for the reply, and the quick product update. Looks like the password system is working now, I could also now change my password starting with a capital to one with a smaller case.

I think you miss my point on the backlinking. Knowing the notes that link to a note I am viewing (In both KNotes app as well as the blog) looks to me like a necessary function for a note taking tool that leverages linking. Searching is not the answer since I will not know the titles of the notes that link to the one I am using. Also there is no Search in the Blog

Regarding finding the notes I have published, I mean, when in the blog. There is no Search in the Blog. Also, since I can not log in (even thought the option is there, I can not register anywhere) I can not click on my user name and perhaps see them. Also clicking on any of the tags in the blog entry also only takes you to a blank page.

I am afraid the limitations of your blogging publishing are too many for it to be of any practical and serious note taking and sharing too. Maybe for incidental publishing its OK, but then I am not going to invest time in a tool if I am only going to use it incidentally.

The limitation of only one database is also a problem too.

You added a number of great functions to Tiddlywiki but at the same time you have limited the the overall user concept for tiddlywikies which is too bad, especially in the publish version, where services like tiddlyspot let you publish and edit your entire tiddlywiki online.

Keep up the great work, and leverage the google community to test and determine the most desired features.
asmith111126

Postby john » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We currently do not support backlinking. However, you can create as many database as you want by using the zip download: simply unzip to different folders.

KNote is designed with privacy in mind. Unlike other note taking programs that store one's notes online, KNote encrypt notes with bank-grade security and let users decide where to keep their notes. Notes can be stored on local hard disk, flash drive, network mapped drive or even space provided by file hosting services such as Dropbox. It is never our intention to replace other online note taking services such as tiddlyspot. When you publish a note with KNote, that note is only available to those who you explicitly send the link to. As you can see, this is very different from posting on a public blog. As a result, the publish features we provide are different from what you are accustomed to. The publish function of KNote is intended for people to quickly share notes among families and friends.
john

Return to Support Forum