Product enhancement suggestion

Forum for the support and discussion of KNote and KNetFramework

Product enhancement suggestion

Postby lpm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

This is a promising piece of software.

Suggestions

- Allow mass creation of notes by dragging and dropping text or HTML files to the KNote main window
- Allow mass export of notes to text, HTML to wiki syntax - either individual notes or all notes for a given set of tags.
- Open publish mechanism to allow publishing to a blog other than the one on smartgoldfish.com - may this one could be an option for a pro version of the software.
- When changing password, do not reencrypt the database. Instead, just reencrypt a header that contains the encrypted encryption keys for the DB. See how Truecrypt does it for a good example of best practices.
- All users to pick encryption algorithm and hashes; publish structure of the Knote.db file.
- Consider a plug-in architecture
lpm

Re: Product enhancement suggestion

Postby john » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We are happy to provide customizations for our commercial users. Please contact us if you have any specific needs.

For the mass creation of notes, what applications do you have in mind?

We will support export in the future. Ideally, we would like to export notes in xml to a commonly used format. However, if all you want is to save the notes in an unencrypted and widely used format, we strongly recommend you to print them out in pdf or ps. One can use 'search' to find the right notes and print them into pdf or ps files with all the formatting preserved. There are many free drivers around allowing printing in pdf/ps format.

John
john

Postby bruegel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 am

Hi guys, love your software, so simple and straightforward, perfect for me.

Just two things that bother me a little :
- the text is not "wrapped" automatically on the editor interface. Since I copied past most of my notes from notepad (yeah, that's the best note-taking tool ever I know), it's all on one line when I edit, not very practicale
- uncustomizable now, I would love to change the appearance. For example I only use the 'close all' and search function on the right so the others take useless space..

But those are minor points, this post was more of a thank you post ;)
bruegel

Postby admin » Wed May 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Bruegel:
Thanks for loving KNote.
Plain text from notepad should wrap automatically if pasted into knote. If you use an advanced notepad program, click on the "paste as plain text" button before pasting. By the way, what is the language of your text.

Cheers
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby bruegel » Wed May 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes that's true I use Notepad++.

While editing it's very extended :

http://onebookaweek.org/capt.jpg

When I click on 'done' it's fine :

http://onebookaweek.org/capt2.jpg

But will be extended again when editing, and the past as plain test function changes nothing. And actually in this case the text is from a pdf, But it does the same with txt.

Most of the text is in English, some in French. Why? Is that caused because your soft is racist against french? :mrgreen:

EDIT : If you want a french translation I'm your man ;)
bruegel

Postby admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Bruegel:
Sorry about the delay in replying. The problem is the pasted text is preformatted without any line breaks.
When pasting formatted text, KNote automatically preserves the format. To remove the format or add line breaks in this case, select the pasted text and change the format from "preformatted" to "paragraph" using the formatting option. Hope this helps.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum